Over at Homegunsmith, Bismarck shows us all how it’s done.
“Hi guys. I’m in the process of making a percussion lock, using files, hand saw, dremel, and some scrap metal that I had laying around. It’s the Jaco back action design.
It’s not the most professional looking job but given the tools I have available it’s a challenging project by itself.
Here’s my tools
First I started with the tumbler. I had no 1/4″ plate at the time to make it so I sawed it off a stock.
I glued the pattern on and started shaping…
…and it came out looking like that.
Next I had to make the lock plate. 1/8″ plate emerged from my scrap box..
Same ol’ hack and file procedure
Now I don’t wanna bore you to death by showing you my red vise and file every time… so in short, and
following the same lengthy filing techniques, I produced the Spring guide,
…and the sear (sorry, crappy pic)
No I didn’t file the main spring out of bar stock. It was graciously donated by a beretta 92 replica.
Ok so I had this piece of brass laying around and I thought I’d make the trigger as well just in case I
decide to put the lock on a gun. Brass is so soft and easy to manipulate.. makes everything look like
jewelry once you polish it too.
On another note… we have a hammer!
Needs some more work… It helped that I found a 1/4″ plate so I didn’t have to saw that thing off a
steel brick again.
Ok… so here I’m trying to make the hammer-tumbler axle. It had to be 5/16. The only thing I could find
laying around was this 3/8 screw/bolt thingy. So I chopped off it’s head…
And since I have no lathe, I chucked it on my hand drill and turned it down with a file to the desired
Fits like a glove 🙂
Ok.. so here I go trying to finish the hammer. Another bolt lost its head and threads and got chucked on
my wannabe – lathe drill.
I love making curves like that…
And he have something that could pass for a projectile
I hated cutting a slot on that pretty thing but Jaco comands so…
Not too bad me thinks
Drilled a hole to pin the axle on the tumbler
Made a sear axle and coiled a spring wire for return action on it… didn’t come out very pretty though
…and using my vise as a press I press fitted the release pin on the sear
And we have a lock! yay! I’m so happy right now.
First time I make something kinda complicated like that, filed out of pieces of steel.
Here it is:
Ok… here we go
the not as pretty side
I’m not real proud of the sear return spring but it was the best I could do at the time.
Now where oh where should I put that little lock :p”
That’s the lock done, stay tuned for the stock and and barrel!.